27.8.13

URKYE ~ Three Tops from the Polish Brand


The Dwulicowa Tuba                           The Kontrast +                           The Dzwonek


I've seen Polish brand Urkye mentioned by many bloggers these past few months. Reviews seemed to be very positive so I figured I should give their clothes a try. For my first order, I went with the three tops above: the Dwulicowa Tuba in yellow, the Kontrast + in white and the Dzwonek in red. I ordered the same size for everything: 34 0/00.

The prices were excellent (it didn't hurt that they have a sale going on right now) and shipping was super fast. So, how are the clothes?

The Dwulicowa Tuba


I spent a while deciding which color I should order. I loved the shade of red they'd chosen for this model and was very tempted to order it but I knew I wanted another model in red so I went ahead and ordered the yellow instead. I've been trying to look at my wardrobe objectively lately and I've realized that I mainly have clothes in black, grey, red and pink. So now I'm trying to buy colors I don't usually wear to add some variety. That shade of yellow was a bold move for me but I really like it. It's bright and makes you stand out in the street but it's not so jarring that you feel you need sunglasses to look at it.

I'm very pleased with the fit but, even without being too thin, the material is extremely unforgiving. For this review, I intentionally paired it with two things that highlight that fact: 

*My black Delphi bra from Masquerade with lots of embroidery on the cups
*Tight jeans that accentuate waist rolls and sport very visible belt loops.

Basically, this is the worst it will ever look and it still manages to look pretty darn fine.

In my opinion, the way to go would be with a light-colored (not necessarily nude) T-shirt bra with smooth cups and tucked into the jeans. Add a wide belt to complete the outfit and you're ready to roll. With skirts, it would be easier to wear it untucked as the waistline usually doesn't stand out so much.

Some might prefer going up a size to avoid the "too clingy" thing at the bottom. It wasn't an option I considered for myself though. I do like fairly skin-tight tops and the 36 would have been way too loose at my waist and bust.


I ordered the Tuba without knowing what it looked like from the back and I was a little disconcerted at first because I'm usually not a fan of  V-shapes there. But now, I find that it works very well for this top.



I really like the way it looks from the side. The armholes come up high under my armpits so I won't have to worry about any bra playing peek-a-boo in that area, even my tallest ones. I love the shape it gives my breasts as well. Win-win.



I like the chest area in front. It gives some hint of cleavage without being too sexy for work. Ladies blessed with bigger boobs than mine will get more cleavage with the front in that position but it's very easy to adjust it to get it as demure or as sexy as you want. The two little tubes on the straps are adjustable as well. Here I'm wearing them the way I like best but you can get many different looks. This top is truly versatile.


Verdict

A for Awesome. I just might have to cave in and buy the red one anyway^^



~ * ~


The Kontrast +


Now, for the Kontrast, there was no question as to which color to choose. I knew I wanted a white shirt from the start. I chose the + version with black accents on the sleeves. I really think it gives the shirt a more finished look.

I love everything about this shirt except the thinness and transparency of the material. Anything other than the most discreet of nude T-shirt bras is out and it's a real shame. That's the shirt's only flaw. Here, I'm wearing it with my Cleo Juna in ivory. I do have a nude strapless Deco (temporarily, since I'm probably sending it back) but I wanted to show the transparency of the material even with a light colored bra. Wearing a white T-shirt or tank top underneath would work though and that's how I plan to wear it most of the time.

Now, the good things... The cut ! It's prefect.

*Length: perfect!
*Wideness of sleeves: perfect!
*Boob room: perfect!
*Way it conforms to my body: perfect!

Bonus: it's cute as hell and can be dressed up or down depending on how you wear it.



The back view shows that it tappers nicely at my waist and then gently flares to accomodate my hips. It's as if this shirt was tailor-made just for me. I do think it's on the verge of being slightly too big (I would have bought a 32 in a heartbeat if they had made it in that size) but that's because I prefer very fitted garments on top.





Awesome profile. I'm including a close up to show you the vertical seams that make all the magic happen. And the sleeves are really perfect. I don't have very thin arms so on high-street shirts they're often too tight, which wasn't a problem here. And they weren't too wide either.



Close-up of the chest area. No gaping! And how cute are those buttons and that black trim?




Some different looks: dressed-up with some winter shorts and a belt (ideally, I'd wear tights as well) and ready for work all buttoned-up and with a black skirt. See, I wasn't lying when I said I had too much stuff in black and grey at the beginning of this post!


Verdict

A +. Objectively, I should take out the + because of the thinness and transparency of the material but I love it too much to give it anything less. I'll be wearing this baby pretty often :)


~ * ~ 

The Dzwonek


I really liked the shade of red shown on the website for this top but it's more of a very dark red in person. Still pretty though.

The Dzwonek is made in the same material (or what seems like the same material) as the Tuba and will thus give you the same unforgiving fit so the same rules apply: T-shirt bra (although no need to wear a light one with this dark red) and non-3D bottoms.

I loved the cleavage/neckline combo on the pretty blond model for this color but I unfortunately do not get the same fit, probably because I'm less endowed in the chest area. I still like the fit but I think it's a top that will be stunning on better-endowed ladies.




I get the same unforgiving fit over my jeans as with the Tuba but it fits great enough on my upper-torso that the back of my bra doesn't really show, which is great!



I like the flowing sleeves. They go very well with the tight fit of the rest of the top. And the length is perfect. 

I'm wearing my Delphi again here but it doesn't give me the same great shape it did with the Tuba. My boobs look minimized and as if they were trying to escape in front of me. I think a Deco or my Rhea would work better with the Dzwonek. They have a more rounded shape than the Delphi. My Curvy Kate's Tease Me would probably also work well shape-wise but I'm afraid the lace will show through the material.



Close-up of the chest area. I like the way it looks but it solidifies my belief that this is a top that will work better for ladies with a fuller bust than mine. My boobs look a bit lost in there. On the other hand, it will be a great top to wear on the days I don't want to accentuate my boobs.



Verdict

B+. This top didn't seem as made for me as the Tuba and the Kontrast but I can definitely see myself wearing it all through fall and winter. Fuller-busted ladies: buy it before it's out of stock. You'll look amazing!



~ * ~


I'm very pleased with my order. I got three great tops for basically the cost of one branded top from a high-street shop. I was really impressed by the quality of the clothes and all the work that went into creating great shapes for ladies with curves. And not only are these tops well-made, they're also extremely comfortable.

Next items on my Wish List: a long-sleeved shirt and a colorful dress. I was told that they were working on a new shirt and I can't wait to see what it will look lke.

Rock on, Urkye!


















2 comments:

  1. Love this review - I don't think I've seen many examples of Urkye in your size range!

    I also get the problem with jeans/embroidered bras showing through the shirts - I generally wear the Deco (or other smooth cups) or Ewa Michalak bras with them (I hear that "it's best to wear Polish bras with Polish clothing, and it seems pretty true!)

    (Also, isn't the Tuba an awesome shirt? I want ALL THE COLORS.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polish bras are something I haven't had the chance to try yet but I hope to remedy that in the future. I really like what I've seen of EW's range in bloggers' reviews. They seem to make some awesome rounded, padded half-cups.

      I'm trying to resist buying the Tuba in other colors. The top you reviewed seems to be calling me as well (although maybe the upcoming long-sleeved version would be best now that summer's almost over). But I'll try to be reasonable and wait for the winter collection. If there are some Tubas and Kopertówkas left in my size then... Well, what can a girl do? :)

      Delete